Friday, October 01, 2010

RIP STEPHEN J CANNELL

It was with great sadness that I learned of Stephen J. Cannell's death last night from cancer. I had no idea he was even sick. Though I hadn't seen him in person for a while, I did see him on Castle playing poker with the other great crime book authors and he looked like his usual handsome, robust, virile self.

What a loss for the world, and for me, since I love all of his books and have been a fan of his TV shows for years. The thought of no new books from him is devastating. And of course, there was always the hope that he'd give us a new TV series, even though he hasn't done one in years.

Back in 2006, I worked the tribute for him at the WGA Theater and he gave me a big welcoming hug when I told him how he was one of my favorite authors. We talked about how my favorite of his books was still his first one, The Plan. He mentioned how that book was a departure for him (political thriller) and the only one of a kind. And we talked about his hero, Shane Scully, who inhabits many of his books.

His friends gave a wonderful tribute to him. I was reading over what I wrote about the tribute and thinking how much he touched people's lives... how much he will be missed.

And no more will I be able to say in answer to that pesky question of what do you want to be in five years. My answer had always been Stephen J. Cannell because he has done everything I want to do: write TV shows, write roles for himself when he feels like it, act, write books, creative TV shows, etc.

And from what I surmise, he was incredibly loyal to family and friends. Yes, he was a good one that we've lost too soon.

Just want to thank Phil Philkon Konstantin for the photo of Stephen J. Cannell I have on the blog here.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home