Friday, October 22, 2010

Bringing an Inside the Industry Viewpoint to Jensen Ackles Directing Supernatural


Although I am pursuing an acting career, I am also continuing to keep my writing career alive as well. Hence it was with great interest that I went to San Diego Comic Con this summer and did press on many of the TV shows present there.

I was especially pleased to attend the Supernatural press room this year. All the buzz was around lead actor Jensen Ackles directing for the first time and I was most interested to hear his comments. I had already decided that that was the perfect topic for me to write about as I have worked on TV shows and know a lot about production. Hence I felt I could bring a different perspective to the fans reading the articles in multiple venues. My article is at Suite101.com and you can access it here: It's Good To Be Captain: Jensen Ackles Helms Supernatural Tonight.

The Supernatural press conference was the most packed I attended that con. We were pressed in like sardines and it was difficult to move around. I suspect that Vampire Diaries was just as packed, because the publicist thanked me when I let her know I couldn't do it as she had a waiting list. I wanted to do VD, but it was that or Human Target and while I like Vampire Diaries, Human Target is on my must not miss list.

Apparently Superman was even more crowded, because I couldn't even get on that list and when I talked to the people at my table at Supernatural, at least three others couldn't get in either.

But for all the madness of the huge crowd, the SPN press conference was the best run of the entire convention. For one thing, they had their entire PR staff working that room and they adhered very strictly to the 5-7 minute per guest per table. However, because of that, we got time with every single guest, which didn't happen at most of the others.

Alas, 5-7 minutes is not enough time for everybody to ask questions, so while I got to ask Jensen about post production and Sera Gamble for her pov, I didn't get to ask Jim Beaver or Jared Padalecki what it was like to be directed by their actor co-star. I was actually surprised that nobody else did either.

And because I have worked with Bob Singer in the past, I was able to ask him, a prolific director of Supernatural episodes and former showrunner, for a comment on how well Jensen did directing and he was kind enough to give me a quote I could incorporate into my article.

----------------
Photo credits: Those of Jensen Ackles directing are courtesy of 2010 The CW/Jack Rowand
Jensen Ackles at Comic Con is courtesy of 2010 Warner Bros Entertainment, Inc./Greg Gayne

Check Out "It's Good to be Captain: Jensen Ackles Helms Supernatural Tonight" at:
http://www.suite101.com/content/its-good-to-be-captain-jensen-ackles-helms-supernatural-tonight-a297358

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home