Tuesday, November 13, 2007

SAG supports WGA in Rally at Universal Studios


Two hours of walking up and down on a concrete sidewalk in front of NBC Universal Studios between three gates and beyond... isn't working in Hollywood glamorous? But we were doing it for a very important cause -- the WGA is on strike for writers to get a contract which includes a percentage of the revenue made by the studios off their creative writing on the Internet and cell phones, and an increased percentage of DVD sales. Today SAG, the Screen Actors Union, joined us in full force.

They have been on the picket lines with the WGA since the beginning, as individuals who care, reportedly even bringing food to their striking writers, but this was to show actors in force supporting writers and hopefully to get good media coverage to spread the word of what's going on.

Normally, I don't post the photos of the actors or the writers on the lines and have only posted the neat signs. I had planned to do that here as well when it occurred to me that that perhaps was a mistake... the actors had come out, not only to lend their support, but their visibility, so if publishing a few photos of your favorite actors gets you to read about our striking brethren, then I think that was what today was about.

I don't think the actors will mind posting them here, but if anyone does object to having their photo here, then please let me know and I'll remove it. We are all in this together and we respect each other.

It did bring out the news media. In fact it was always easy to spot where an actor was, because usually there were three or four cameras clicking away and someone with a microphone or recorder. Even if you were talking with an actor you knew, you would most likely be interrupted by someone wanting him/her to speak a few lines into the recorder for them. Course, I didn't mind -- that was how they could best lend a helping hand: publicity to remind the world what the writers were striking for. As long as they didn't catch bedraggled me on camera, I was okay.

There were so many actors and writers as well as press moving up and down the sidewalk that I'm sure I didn't see many who were there. Of those I saw, the casts of Numb3rs, Desperate Housewives, The Unit, Army Wives, and Chuck were very represented with several, if not all of their main casts. I saw ROB LOWE, dressed in a white shirt and tie, and CALISTA FLOCKHART from Brothers and Sisters. Given the way Rob was dressed, I suspect they were shooting today and had just stopped in when they could.

I had wanted to chat with SHAWN RYAN, at least long enough to thank him for the open letter he wrote to the industry, stating why he wasn't going to do his producing duties -- that he couldn't produce the last episode without having his writing hat on as well. Both at FOX and at NBC Universal, he was always surrounded by people he was talking to whenever I happened to pass by. But I'm sure there will be many more opportunities before this is over.

I did get to chat a moment with MARC CHERRY, the showrunner of Desperate Housewives. I have no idea what Marc is like to work for, but my encounters with him have always been delightful. He's one of the nicest and most humble men I've ever talked to. After meeting him last year, I sent him a handwritten note telling him how much I loved his show. For me, watching a show about the everyday lives of four women is an anomaly. While I believe in equality for women in all ways in my heart and soul and deeds, in terms of watching television, I'm an action adventure, male bonding, male banter, cowboy, cop, science fiction type of girl. So loving Desperate Housewives is truly a mark of how well-written and well-acted that show is. After I had written that note to him, to my surprise, I got a handwritten note back from him thanking me for writing him. So today when I talked to him, I also saw the same humble and very real man. He was telling me how honored he felt to be a strike captain and how he was doing his best to do a good job and live up to the honor. This desire to do a good job for his fellow writers is obviously reflected in how many of his cast members were out here today.

There were also a few dogs on the picket line, but my favorite pet support is the T-shirt here of the kitty holding the strike sign with the caption, 'Kittens support WGA'. I was having a bit of trouble getting the actress' head in as well as the T-shirt because I couldn't back up at the time, and she said she actually preferred to not be in the picture. Hence, I honored her request and so the head cutting off is more or less deliberate, and not meant to be insulting.

One of the actors I was delighted to see was LESLIE SILVA whom you may know from Odyssey 5. We were supposed to work on a project together and unfortunately, it never came to pass.

Another actor I hadn't seen in a while who was a delight to see was JASON RITTER, whom I worked with on Joan of Arcadia. Jason is not only one of the most handsome and talented young men I've met, but he's also one of the nicest and sweetest to be around. Not only is he a terrific actor, but he and his girl friend put together for Christmas a slide show explaining to us why it was Joan of Arcadia, not Luke of Arcadia, Helen of Arcadia -- you get the picture. And these incredible talents did it in one night. Jason tells me he's been working on an independent movie, so that should be great to see.

I urge you to check out the news coverage on the today's picket line to get a more comprehensive picture of who was there, because of all the things I am, a good photographer I'm not. Also check out sites like www.unitedhollywood.com They are one of the sites that will give you a good comprehensive overview of what the writers strike is all about.

I just want to say to all those reading this that it is very important to us that you the public understand what's going on, because I believe in the power of the people and I believe that once you are informed on the issues, you too will be on the side of the writers, and perhaps, doing whatever is in your power to help them.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home