Thursday, January 24, 2008

Xena Day on the Picket Line


It was freaking freezing out there on the strike line today -- well, maybe not like it was on the East Coast or Midwest during winter, but freezing for us. And at times raining. But still it was fun to meet up with writers from Xena and Hercules, some of whom I hadn't seen for a few years.

The highlight of this day for me was meeting and talking with actor Tim Omundson, who is pictured with writer Andy Dettmann to the right here. Tim played Eli in Xena, but I've seen him in many series and I always have loved the characters he creates. They are not always good guys, but they have heart and feelings and manage to make me sit up and take notice. Some of the shows I've enjoyed his work on is currently on Psych and Jericho and formerly on Judging Amy and Deadwood. Plus a slew of one-shots on many of the series I watch.

Andy Dettmann was partnered with Dan Truly when they worked on Hercules, the Legendary Journeys. They wrote three of the movies and were on staff for the first year. During that year, they managed to 'torment' their poor innocent script coordinator, me. How? Well, one time they borrowed a two-foot stuffed rat which was in the Evil Dead movies and hid it under my desk. I was so busy, I didn't look down, so I didn't see it. Dan and Andy both came sauntering one by one into my office -- apparently to check on whether it was still there since I didn't react to it, but when I'd ask what they needed, they'd say, "Nothing," and confuse me as to why they were walking into my office.

Eventually, my foot banged against it and I looked down to see what I had kicked: This big rat staring back at me. You can't help but be startled and yelp. And from those two offices came gleeful cries of "Finally!"

For Halloween, they positioned a disembodied prop arm to hang out of one of my script boxes, but by then I knew their wicked ways and didn't react quite the same way.

They eventually went on to write Nash Bridges and you guys, Andy and Dan, can deny all you want that those Betamax remarks weren't teasing me, but I know better. Just because you two didn't write that script doesn't mean that you guys didn't suggest the lines in the Writers Room and talk the writers into using them. Andy is now on Numb3rs 'tormenting' some other poor script coordinator and Dan is on Big Shots doing the same. All kidding aside, they are great guys. And so is David Grae who is with Andy here to the left. We worked together on Joan of Arcadia, but he's also done Gilmore Girls and of course, a Xena.

It was great to see R.J. Stewart, the showrunner of Xena again. In this picture, he is standing between writers Gene O'Neill and Liz Friedman. Liz is currently working on another favorite show of mine, House -- a show I'd dearly love to work on.

In the picture to the left, Gene is standing with writer George Strayton and Noreen Tobin. Noreen and Gene are husband and wife as well as writing partners. And they did not 'torment' their script coordinator when they were on staff of Hercules.

Paul Robert Coyle (below) worked on both Hercules and Xena and he was kind enough to lend me all the Xena and Hercules DVDs so I could see the various commentaries he and others did. Shea Butler, a mutual friend, worked with Paul on Crazy Like a Fox. The pink hat was worn by a group of female writers, to distinguish themselves in the crowd as female science fiction writers.

Steve L. Sears, co-executive producer of Xena, took to the microphone to thank everyone for coming and to remark that with the fan presence (in town for a Xena convention that weekend) on the line, TPTB (The Powers That Be) should take note and make a Xena movie. Note his miniature WGA on Strike sign propped up in his hat. This handy way of carrying the sign was so innovative and freeing that I begged him for one... so kudos to Steve for thinking of this.

And last, but not least, our uber boss (pictured here with Nora Kay Foster, who with her writing partner, Adam Armus, is now on Heroes), Rob Tapert -- the guy who, along with his partner, Sam Riami, made Hercules and Xena both happen. I have other photos and memories, but one can't post everything. But I also want to thank all the fans who came out and walked with us. Maybe if I'm lucky, they'll be kind and share their photos with me.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger dave c said...

It's late and I'm stumbling around the internet & I just want to thank you for your kind comment on my little blog,

StarsAdviseTheirUnion.blogspot.com

You meet a lot of good people on a picket line, and the more you're on the line, the more good people you get to meet.

Good luck, Crystal

1:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home